Thursday, April 5, 2012

That sense of protectedness

"One sultry day in midsummer I invited a troubled friend from down the coast to visit me in the hermitage; if anywhere could bring her calm, I thought, it would be here. As soon as I led her into the chapel, she broke into tears before the small cross suspended from a skylight in a warm, round, golden space.

"You're moved?" I asked.

"Not only." I could hear what even the stillness could not heal. "I can feel all the things I never had when I was growing up. That sense of protectedness, of being held."

Page 204, 'The Man Within My Head', Pico Iyer

2 comments:

Cindy Brown said...

Wow, very nice teaser! Bravo!

Van Brown directed me to your blog. I'm looking forward to reading more.

Asha said...

Thanks, Cindy, and welcome!

Blog Archive