Sunday, May 9, 2010

The Berlin Effect

Der Berlin-Effekt

The Goethe Institut is having a celebration in honor of the German Unity Day [Oct 3] in Bangalore.

Reminded me of a poem from the book on Contemporary German Poetry that Juliane Stegner brought for me once from Germany. Juliane Stegner, ex-Director of the Goethe Institut, who made me feel that if Germany produces amazingly warm, human, large-hearted people such as this, it must be a fabulous country indeed.

After the breaking down of The Wall:

The Berlin Effect

suddenly in the supermarket
I am surrounded by all those
who have meant something in my life
from all levels
of memory they thaw out.
in front of the freezer I learn
that they now live around the corner
can carry my bags home for me
in front of my door we hesitate
and one of them finally says it: I forgive you.

Eva Corino

No comments:

Blog Archive