Friday, September 14, 2007

A Zen Moment

The squirrel thief who regularly comes in through the windows and the open balcony door, in spite of all our efforts at scaring him away. We have reached such a stage of familiarity that he now walks in when you are sitting on the chair a few feet away from him, drinking your early morning tea.

He climbs on to the dining table, picks up a groundnut from a badly closed packet, jumps onto a tin for a better vantage point, holds the nut in his hands and quietly gnaws away nonchalantly, watching you.

He seems to say - "Look - you got no children, and all the young ones you looked after and fed at this table so fondly have gone away. So why don't you just share your food with me? Aren't I like a little child anyways? And I won't ever go away, will I? I got no dreams to chase, nothing to prove to anyone, my life is plain and simple. I''ll keep you company all my short life."

He's got a point there.

You continue drinking your tea looking away out of the other window at the sky turning lighter; while the groundnut packet empties on the dining table, and the apple basket awaits it turn.

In the early morning half-lit house, a Zen moment of acceptance and peace.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! You have such a lovely blog here. You write so well... :)

Asha

Anonymous said...

Dear Asha,

The beauty of your writting and the bea&uty of your soul made me weep once morewhile reading you...and remember how hospitable, warm and generous was this dining table. Thank you from all the children and pure souls that are evryday and the ones that are still waiting to be fed by you.....and your beautifull warm soul.

Blog Archive